Being single is awesome. You have lots of time for friends. You can travel on a moment’s notice. That pair of shoes you can’t resist? Get ‘em. Want chocolate cake for dinner? Do it. You can eat whenever and whatever you want. You can do so much for God, and the opportunity to truly know yourself is a gift.
But then there are the times when being single feels less than awesome. Like when your car breaks down and your bills pile up. Maybe you scroll through Facebook and it seems like everyone you know has a happy relationship, and your heart aches because you want the same thing. The dating scene leaves something to be desired, and you’re often left wondering if God has anyone for you.
See, God created us to love and be loved. When he created Adam, he quickly brought along Eve, because he knew it was not good for man to be alone (Genesis 2:18). Wanting a spouse isn’t something that signifies weakness; we want it because God designed us that way. Praying for God to bring someone into your life is both honorable and wise. (It also feels better than sitting through a romantic movie that makes you cry.)
As you wait on God and pray for your future spouse, be encouraged by God’s Word for you in this season:
- Seek your happiness in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desire. – Psalm 37:4 (GNT)
- The Lord has blessed you because you believed that he will keep his promise. – Luke 1:45 (CEV)
- I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for. – Jeremiah 29:11 (GNT)
- The Lord All-Powerful, the Holy God of Israel, rules all the earth. He is your Creator and husband, and he will rescue you. – Isaiah 54:5
- Stay away from people who are not followers of the Lord! Can someone who is good get along with someone who is evil? Are light and darkness the same? – 2 Corinthians 6:14
- Since you are God's people, it is not right that any matters of sexual immorality or indecency or greed should even be mentioned among you. – Ephesians 5:3
God, we pray over everyone reading this today. You know the desires of the heart and the longing they have for a spouse. Today, give them strength and patience as they wait on you. Prepare their hearts for the one you have for them, and surround them with your love and peace as they wait on you. In Jesus’ name, Amen!
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where
Sign up to receive free coloring pages and regular email updates from the Bible Blog.