The other night, I called my friend, and I could tell something was wrong. Finally, she told me that her daughter, a former heroin addict, was in all probability using drugs again. This news came on the heels of her son being placed in juvenile detention for drug use a week earlier.
“I pray,” she said. “I pray that God will make them strong and help them resist the temptation to use drugs. I want a good future for them. I talk to them over and over again about this. But it just falls on deaf ears. I don’t have the strength to deal with this anymore.”
I assured her that she would find the strength to cope with this difficult situation. God would not fail her as he reminds all of us in 2 Corinthians 12:9: “For my power is greatest when you are weak.”
If you feel weak and worn by life’s troubles, read these 8 Scripture verses. Know that God is your strength; he will give you the courage to face life’s challenges, no matter how difficult they are.
- “God is our shelter and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.” Psalm 46:1 (GNTD)
- “The Lord makes me powerful and strong; he has saved me.” Psalm 118:14 (GNTD)
- “I am overcome by sorrow; strengthen me as you have promised.” Psalm 119:28 (GNTD)
- “He strengthens those who are weak and tired. … Those who trust in the Lord for help will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles; they will run and not get weary; they will walk and not grow weak.” See Isaiah 40: 29-31 (GNTD)
- “The Lord gives me power and strength; he is my savior.” Isaiah 12:2(b) (GNTD)
- “The Sovereign Lord gives me strength. He makes me sure-footed as a deer and keeps me safe on the mountains.” Habakkuk 3:19 (GNTD)
- “Build up your strength in union with the Lord and by means of his mighty power.” Ephesians 6:10 (GNTD)
- “But his answer was: ‘My grace is all you need, for my power is greatest when you are weak.’ I am most happy, then, to be proud of my weaknesses, in order to feel the protection of Christ’s power over me. I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and difficulties for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where
Sign up to receive free coloring pages and regular email updates from the Bible Blog.